Author Topic: oak barrel/ cask how tos?  (Read 3235 times)

Dr. Sideburns

oak barrel/ cask how tos?
« on: May 05, 2008, 06:53:38 AM »
Hey folks!

I am looking for info on how to, dos and dont's, etc. on cask/oak aging. I have read a few threads here and there, but maybe I am looking in the wrong place.  A few things I have read lead me to believe that it is better to get a used barrel or the oak is too overpowering? I am still pretty new to brewing in general and maybe this thread is premature, but I know that eventually maybe sooner I AM going to do it. I figure I may as well be informed as best I can. If anyone can direct me to some more detailed info or have some experience with this it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe

Offline BeerSmith

• Brewer, Author, Patriot
  • BeerSmith Administrator
  • BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • BeerSmith - take the guesswork out of brewing!
    • BeerSmith
Re: oak barrel/ cask how tos?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 05:09:19 PM »
Joe,
  There is a nice article in the latest Zymurgy magazine on this.  The article recommends adding oak chips for a week or so to the secondary fermenter.  Alternately you can add oak cubes to your keg which will age it a bit more slowly.

Using actual casks is dicey business as they are difficult to sanitize.  However, it depends on what taste profile you are shooting for.

Get a pack of oak chips from your homebrew shop and give it a try.  I also recommend taking a look at the Zymurgy article.

Brad
Get a free trial of BeerSmith 3 here

Dr. Sideburns

Re: oak barrel/ cask how tos?
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 07:27:20 PM »
thanks Brad, I will be sure to give it a look.

-Joe