• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

oak barrel/ cask how tos?

D

Dr. Sideburns

Hey folks!

I am looking for info on how to, dos and dont's, etc. on cask/oak aging. I have read a few threads here and there, but maybe I am looking in the wrong place.  A few things I have read lead me to believe that it is better to get a used barrel or the oak is too overpowering? I am still pretty new to brewing in general and maybe this thread is premature, but I know that eventually maybe sooner I AM going to do it. I figure I may as well be informed as best I can. If anyone can direct me to some more detailed info or have some experience with this it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe

Joe,
  There is a nice article in the latest Zymurgy magazine on this.  The article recommends adding oak chips for a week or so to the secondary fermenter.  Alternately you can add oak cubes to your keg which will age it a bit more slowly.

Using actual casks is dicey business as they are difficult to sanitize.  However, it depends on what taste profile you are shooting for.

Get a pack of oak chips from your homebrew shop and give it a try.  I also recommend taking a look at the Zymurgy article.

Brad

Back