• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Determining style using left over grain

simplegreen

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hey folks, i did a good bit of searching but really couldn't come up with an answer to my question.  As we all have experienced. we find ourselves with random left over grains all the time. Im no different i have about 7 pounds of just random grains. I've inputted all the left overs i have into beer smith and now i'd like to figure out to what "style" that beer using those leftovers would be closest to. Anyone have a tutorial off hand they can share?

Attachments

• IMG_20170114_111412.jpg
    IMG_20170114_111412.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 265
In all honesty, what you have is a mish-mash of grains that would lead to, IMHO, a pretty unpalatable, heavily roasty brew.  If you look at some of the grains and compare what you have in the recipe versus the recommended maximum content, you will find you are well in excess of reasonable amounts for several (chocolate and special B right off the bat). 

I have done some 'leftover' recipes (the first time I did something similar to what you have and ended up dumping it) and your best bet would be to find a couple of recipes which would use some of the specialty grains.  Off the top of my head, you could do a stout to use up some of the roasted malts and a brown to consume some of the crystal malts and some more of the chocolate malt. 

If the grains are not crushed, you can put them into an airtight container and store them for quite a while. 

Greetings simplegreen - I agree with Oginme.  If you attempt to brew all those grains you'll end up dumping it.  My suggestion is to use your favorite base malt and blend some of the left over malts in to brew something you will enjoy.

All that said, I would like to see the desktop version of BS to include a search based on a particular malt.  Just a thought.

Good luck!

It would be a crystal malt heavy stout or foreign extra stout.  I've done a similar beer with an IPA and it was fine.  Not so much crystal though.

It would be, to say the least, an interesting beer.  I would be a bit worried about having enough enzymes to achieve full conversion. A couple more pounds of base malt would fix that.  I'd also scrounge up a couple more ounces of hops. That said, I have to agree with the suggestion to find a couple of existing styles which would suit these malts.

Mike

Back