• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

BJCP 2008 Style Guidelines popup keeps popping up

rgiaquinta

Apprentice
Reaction score
Each time I start Beersmith, the BJCP 2008 Style Guidelines popup keeps popping up.  I have gone to "options" to select these guidelines, but the popup still returns when I restart the program.  How do I stop this?

Hmmmm,
  Most likely cause is some kind of permissions problem.  Check that you have write access to the C:\Program Files\BeerSmith directory - particularly if you are running as a "non-administrator" or running under Vista.

Brad

Yes, I'm running under Vista, but there's only one user account on the computer, so I don't see how it could be a permissions problem.  If this helps - I do not install beersmith to the default c:\program files\beersmith directory, I install it to my data drive (d:\data\beersmith) so that my recipes will be backed up.  Might this be the problem?

Hi,
  At least one other problem reported some issues running under Vista from a removable drive.

I would still check the permissions, as under Vista it will install using admin permissions by default which may have locked out your normal user login from writing.  It should be writing out a file called Options.bsm when it exits that stores the settings including the style guideline.

Cheers,
Brad

I looked for the options.bsm file, and it does not exist, though there are several options.bak listed, all with modification dates from last year (even though I use beersmith weekly, and this problem started just a month or two ago).  So I'm guessing that this missing file is the problem - so should I just change the name of the most recent backup to "options.bsm".  Will this mess up any of my stored info?

I don't know what you mean by checking permissions.  Do you mean for the "beersmith" folder?  I went to "security" for that folder, and it appears that all permissions are enabled.

Finally, I'm not running for a removable drive, just my d: partition on my main hard drive.  It's a fresh install of windows Vista.

Hi,
  You should be able to replace Options.bsm with one of the backups.  Hopefully this will correct the problem. 

Check the directory permissions by going to the BeerSmith directory, right click on properties, and then make sure your user group and the other user groups have the ability to modify, read and write (ideally full control).

Please let me know if you continue to have problems - this should be pretty easy to resolve.  I'm also running Vista on my main computer and laptop.

Cheers,
Brad

I decided to do what i should have done a while ago - reinstall beersmith.  I backed up my .bsm files, uninstalled, fresh installed, and restored .bsm files, and everything seems to work fine now.  Thanks for your help.

Back