• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mash profile options with RIMs

gregarpp

Apprentice
Reaction score
I use my RIMS on my mash tun to heat my strike water.
So my mash tun and strike water would be the same temp.

I have just been calling my mash tun 155F and grains 65F.
Then my strike water addition is supposed to be 163F.
I typically have it at 160F then add grain, then let RIMS adjust to target mash temp of 153F.

Is there a better way to do the equipment mash profile for this?

At some point I want to step mash with my rims when I have it dialed in.

In all honesty I wouldn't worry much about nailing the temperature with your RIMS system because as you said the system will adjust itself within the first 5 min if you are slightly off.  Just try to get with in a degree or two and you will be fine and wont make any difference on the end product.  What I do is put in the temp of of my grain which for me I leave in the basement, I have a thermometer down there so I just look at the what the ambient temp is of the basement and figure the grain would be the same.  At this point i just up the temp of the mash tun in Beermsith until it matches what it says for my strike temp.  I dough in and stir for a few min and i'm usually always with in a degree of what i'm looking for.  Again dont sweat it, as long as you are close your RIMS system will correct.

-Justin

Since your system is at or near the same temperature as your water when you mash in, I would recommend that you uncheck the box on the mash tab of your recipe where it says 'adjust temp for equip.  This way the strike temperature will be calculated based upon the weight and temperature of the grains only.  This is typically what I do for my BIAB profile and I hit the mash temperature within a few tenths every time.

As MarriottJ35 pointed out, your system will react fairly quickly to bring everything back to target once you have mashed in if it is off by a little bit.

I didn't even think about unchecking for equipment temperature.

I am brewing this Sunday, I will try it out.

Planning on a three step temp mash using the rims

Back