• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

HELP - HELP - HELP - SUGGESTIONS WITH WLP802

rmklaw

Apprentice
Reaction score
I started the fermentation of my Czech Bohemian Pilsner and are having problems.  I had a proven mash schedule with Braumeister. I pitched four vials of WLP802 at 52 degrees F.  It has been 2 1/2 days and no signs of activity.  No bubbling and no movement using my Beerbug monitor.  Is this normal for this yeast at low temp, and what is the danger of continuing to wait?

Aso any suggestions on what to do next?  To keep this recipe to true form, I would want to avoid raising temperature too much.  Thanks.

Greetings rmklaw - my limited experience with laggering is to start the fermentation at a higher temperature than what the yeast would normally ferment at.  I typically start my Lager fermentations at about 68 degrees and once fermentation starts, I slowly bring the temperature down to manufacturers recommendation.

So, some questions:
1) what temperature was the yeast when pitched AND the temperature of the wort?
2) what was the date on the yeast vials / packages?
3) what was the SG when you pitched?
4) was any suplimental yeast nutrients added?
5) was the wort aerated, and if so, how much AND what was used - air or pure oxygen?

You may actually not have an issue at all.  The yeast may simply be dormant due to the low temperature.  When pitched, yeast entrees the "lag phase" where it consumes nutrients and oxygen.  If the temperature is too cold, the yeast may want to stay in that state.

The result may be to simply warm the wort to about 65-68 degrees, then agitate the yeast.  If you added sufficient oxygen and nutrients, warming the wort and agitating the yeast should get it moving.

Yeast was at 54 F and worth was 52 F
Fresh vials expiration May-June 2017
SG 1.054
Added fermaid K
Pure oxygen for 60 seconds

My concern with raising the temperature is that I may lose the true to style for the Czech Pilsen.

Greetings rmklaw - I hate to have to ask more questions, but how many gallons / liters was your wort and did you use a starter and if so, what was the volume?

I understand your concerns with temperature and keeping tru to the style.  However, I believe pitching a lager yeast at 68 degrees and allowing your beer to slowly drop to 50-52 degrees fermentation temperature over a period of 8-10 hours will not affect the style at all.  It does, however, allow the yeast to remain very active during the very critical lag stage.

Good news. After 80+ hours fermentation started strong at 52F.  Planning to slowly drop to 50-51F.  This yeast is sloooow to quick-in.  Thank you all for the suggestions.

It is down to 1.040 from 1.056 in less than 8 hours at 51F.

Back