• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Measured Efficiency Not Matching up With Equipment Profile ... Why?

djvie

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I have my specific equipment selected with a BH efficiency of 73.70% (@ 5.5 gallons).

As seen in the lower half I have inputted a measured OG of 1.051 & the correct batch size of 5.5 gallons (per my profile). My question is this.. why is the "Meas Efficiency" stating 97.6% when it should be reading 73.7%? (because I entered in the exact numbers it was estimating, the readout should be exactly the BH efficiency).

This is bugging the heck out of me! Please help. Thanks very much!

Mash efficiency and brewhouse efficiency are two different calculations and you cannot determine the mash efficiency just because you hit the ending numbers.

From this simple screen shot, it is hard to determine.  Save the recipe as a .bsmx file and post it so we can see your data inputs and maybe we will have some meaningful insight for you.

Thanks for your reply, Oginme!

In past versions of BS when I entered in my measured OG & volume, it would output to the actual efficiency I achieved. This is how I kept my brewhouse efficiency on point (my current brewhouse efficiency is 73.7% ...  which is what the recipe's 1.051 OG is based upon. If I had the correct volume and went over/under 1.051 it would reflect under "Measure Efficiency.")

So I'm wondering why even though I inputted "1.051 / 5.5 gallons," it's giving me an efficiency of 97.6%. That would be incorrect. It should be 73.7%.

the *.bsmx file is attached. Thanks again for input!

Attachments

• MeasuredEfficiency.bsmx
    18.2 KB · Views: 205
Again, you are confusing mash efficiency with brewhouse efficiency.  Mash efficiency does not care what you ended up with, it only takes into account the numbers from the mash which are 'meas post mash gravity' and 'meas pre-boil volume'.  I can see from your recipe that you have not filled out these numbers in your sessions tab.  It is using these numbers to calculate  how much sugar was extracted before the boil and without entering your measured amounts, BeerSmith cannot calculate this for your system.

Back