• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Blonde Ale - very low SRM, almost white?

Maki_bOo

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hello Everybody!

I'm new to this forum, I've been reading it for a while but I'm finally joining the community. I hope that you are all brewing great beers and tasting them. Well I'll cut to the chase. I brew a blonde ale and I made my SRM calculations expecting something like 4.94 SRM using the Morey's Formula I know this is just in theory. However the color was completely different it was so light, almost white. I expected an OG of 1.05 but achieved only 1.035 I know that was just because I ended up adding more sparge due to a temperature mistake (78C), well it was a disaster I know but even so. Is SRM supposed to be that different? I calculated the SRM by hand and verified with a calculator and it was correct. Or which variables could've made that, or should I simply calculate like double SRM in order to get a Golden like color? Any help is appreciated!

Given that your gravity was so low, I suspect that your lack of color was due to the lower concentration of sugars in your wort.  Just off the top of my head, that drop of gravity (assuming that you would have met your target gravity without the dilution) meant that you ended up with approximately 40% more wort.  If you take your target of 5 SRM (which is a light to medium golden color) and dilute that by 40%, you would wind up with a color of around 3.5 SRM, which is a yellow/straw color. 

Sounds right, I'll calculate to a 6 SRM and this time everything is prepared for a correct sparge Im brewing now on a BrewMagic V350MS. Thanks!

Back