• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

How do you come up with the information to add new ingredients?

jcharles00

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I'm just trying out beer smith. I'm going to be doing a brew with malted corn and malted rice from Grouse Malt House. I can't find any kind of malted corn or rice in beersmith despite digging through the add ons. So how do I come up with the information to manually add these? Any advice would be appreciated.

I would start by looking for the needed info from the maltster's web site and/or contacting them for the specifics.

I have the same problem, I'm trying to add vanilla extract to a recipe and its not in the list, can't add it to the recipe.

Open up your 'misc ingredients' database [top menu 'ingredients' >> 'Miscellaneous'] and then click 'add misc' from the tool bar ribbon.  This will open up a dialog box with the various information you can enter.  Name - Vanilla extract, Type - flavor (or spice if you prefer), change the units to your preferred unit of measure and then enter how much you want to typically add for what size recipe you typically brew.  This way BeerSmith will scale the volume or weight of the ingredient based upon the batch size of any recipe to which it is added.  Enter the brewing step which you want to add the item and any other info that you want (price, time, inventory) and then click 'ok'.

The item will now be in your misc ingredients and available to add to your recipe.

Back