• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Question about refractometer

Tyso22

Apprentice
Reaction score
I'm new to using a refractometer and I brewed up a batch of all grain witbier lastnight. The final colour of it is pretty light. I took one of the pipettes that came with it and grabbed a sample just before the boil. Squirted it into a small sample cup I had to chill a bit before applying it to the window of the refractometer. After putting it on, I held it up to the light and the blue line was way over top of the scale and the scale goes all the way up to 1.080. Ended up siphoning a sample into a larger beaker and used a hydrometer. Ended up getting a pre boil reading of 1.050. I calibrated the refractometer with water pre-use and zero'd it out. The instructions it came with were less than helpful and any YouTube videos I watch aren't helping me either. Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Thanks in advance.

*refractometer isn't a cheap knock off either. Got it from northern brewer and paid $60.

Oginme said:
http://beersmith.com/blog/2010/11/02/how-to-use-a-refractometer-brix-and-beer-brewing/

Thanks once again Oginme!

Back