Author Topic: Rust spots and kettle maintenance  (Read 6972 times)

Offline Grummore

• BeerSmith Master Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
Rust spots and kettle maintenance
« on: February 15, 2017, 02:14:43 PM »
Just bought a 10 gallons kettle in order to hopefully brew all-grain at some point in time...

However, I wanted to test the leaking of the said tank after putting the thermometer and the valve. At the same time, I wanted to check the speed with which my vitro-ceramic furnace could raise the temperature of my water to boiling.

After 45 minutes (10 ? C to 100 ? C), I let the water cool and I removed the water to find that there were 2 red / orange dots at the bottom of the tank! Disappointment. "It must be cheap as a tank," I said.

Except that I found (after) that it was necessary to follow this kind of procedure before using a brewing tank:

http://beersmith.com/blog/2017/01/09/passivating-stainless-steel-beer-brewing-equipment-to-prevent-corrosion/

No doubt I will find a way to do it.

===== >>>> Where I'm going with this:

Can I make a first brewing with this tank, without having made passivating, with 2 tiny red / orange points, without fear of contamination (with rust if it is)?
AND
After finishing the first brewing, do the passivating for a next brewing, without spoiling my tank?

Thank you.

Offline Grummore

• BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
Re: Rust spots and kettle maintenance
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 06:41:58 AM »
It is clear that I will be ordering Starsan in the near future.

On the other hand, what I could easily grab quickly was Bar Keeper Friend. As mentioned in the article of the site beersmith (link above).

To my surprise, there were 2 models:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_uI6fHtKSwOcUcwUzNFLWxiVGs

Since I did not know which one to take, I took the 2 and I finally used the one to the right (is this a mistake?).

In the end, the bottom of my tank has become all gray !? Is this normal?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_uI6fHtKSwObWJMXzdFVWdZR2c

What do you think and what would you do with it?

Thank you.

Offline jomebrew

• Global Moderator
  • BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
    • Jomebrew
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 08:29:17 AM »
I use the one on the left along with a stainless scrubber.    Mine does not look like yours when I am done.  Much more bright and shiny.  Well, a bit dull as stainless will be. 

Offline Grummore

• BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 08:38:37 AM »
Do you know if there are any difference between the two?

And is it normal to have the bottom really gray? Could it affect the beer?

Actually I remember that instead of 5 to 10 minutes like in the link, I had to deal with my kids and had to let the stuff there for 25 min instead.

Offline jomebrew

• Global Moderator
  • BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
    • Jomebrew
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2017, 09:58:05 AM »
The one you used is less abrasive I think.  Boil water in the kettle.   Smell it and taste it, if it is not neutral, then you could have a problem.  If not, clean it again and make some beer.

Offline Grummore

• BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 07:07:04 AM »
Thanks, will try this!

KellerBrauer

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2017, 11:33:45 AM »
Greetings All - I don't use either one of the two cleaners.  I use PBW only.  However, I looked at the picture and forgive me for saying this, but the kettle in the picture looks like it's aluminum.  I have a 15 gallon kettle made by PolerWear and like jomebrew said, it's a little dull, but considering its 3 years old and brewed about 30 batches, it still looks great.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 11:35:29 AM by KellerBrauer »

Offline AnitaMon

• AnitaMonNN
  • BeerSmith New Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
    • anti
Rust spots and kettle maintenance
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2017, 07:51:15 PM »
Looking for a new, bigger brew kettle. Anyone have one or other type of kettle to get rid of?