• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Rust spots and kettle maintenance

Grummore

Master Brewer
Reaction score
Just bought a 10 gallons kettle in order to hopefully brew all-grain at some point in time...

However, I wanted to test the leaking of the said tank after putting the thermometer and the valve. At the same time, I wanted to check the speed with which my vitro-ceramic furnace could raise the temperature of my water to boiling.

After 45 minutes (10 ? C to 100 ? C), I let the water cool and I removed the water to find that there were 2 red / orange dots at the bottom of the tank! Disappointment. "It must be cheap as a tank," I said.

Except that I found (after) that it was necessary to follow this kind of procedure before using a brewing tank:

http://beersmith.com/blog/2017/01/09/passivating-stainless-steel-beer-brewing-equipment-to-prevent-corrosion/

No doubt I will find a way to do it.

===== >>>> Where I'm going with this:

Can I make a first brewing with this tank, without having made passivating, with 2 tiny red / orange points, without fear of contamination (with rust if it is)?
AND
After finishing the first brewing, do the passivating for a next brewing, without spoiling my tank?

Thank you.

It is clear that I will be ordering Starsan in the near future.

On the other hand, what I could easily grab quickly was Bar Keeper Friend. As mentioned in the article of the site beersmith (link above).

To my surprise, there were 2 models:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_uI6fHtKSwOcUcwUzNFLWxiVGs

Since I did not know which one to take, I took the 2 and I finally used the one to the right (is this a mistake?).

In the end, the bottom of my tank has become all gray !? Is this normal?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_uI6fHtKSwObWJMXzdFVWdZR2c

What do you think and what would you do with it?

Thank you.

I use the one on the left along with a stainless scrubber.    Mine does not look like yours when I am done.  Much more bright and shiny.  Well, a bit dull as stainless will be. 

Do you know if there are any difference between the two?

And is it normal to have the bottom really gray? Could it affect the beer?

Actually I remember that instead of 5 to 10 minutes like in the link, I had to deal with my kids and had to let the stuff there for 25 min instead.

The one you used is less abrasive I think.  Boil water in the kettle.  Smell it and taste it, if it is not neutral, then you could have a problem.  If not, clean it again and make some beer.

Greetings All - I don't use either one of the two cleaners.  I use PBW only.  However, I looked at the picture and forgive me for saying this, but the kettle in the picture looks like it's aluminum.  I have a 15 gallon kettle made by PolerWear and like jomebrew said, it's a little dull, but considering its 3 years old and brewed about 30 batches, it still looks great.

Looking for a new, bigger brew kettle. Anyone have one or other type of kettle to get rid of?

Back