• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Saving session Data

Rustonrider

Apprentice
Reaction score
I'm somewhat new to BeerSmith and cant for life of me figure out how to so save my session data. What does the version on the top indicate? If I save a session as version 1 then change my data/results from another batch as version 2, it doesn't save separately and also changes the version 1 data. Does this make any sense? I'm just trying to log my results from batch to batch to ensure some kind of consistency.

BeerSmith has a brew log folder which you can use to keep copies of recipes and the data associated with that brew session.

To use it, click on the recipe you want to brew, and click on the 'copy to log' on the icon ribbon.  This will place a copy of your recipe into a folder which is called 'brew log'.  Now you can open up  the brew log folder and enter your brew day data while preserving a copy of your original recipe intact in your standard recipe folder. 

I've attached a screen shot of my brew log folder so you can see how I use it.

Attachments

• brew log capture.JPG
    brew log capture.JPG
    110.3 KB · Views: 30
Thankyou i was wondering the same thing after just using it for the first time.

What makes beersmith save the recipie to the calendar then? I thought it would be linked to the log function. Also how do you remove a recipie that appears on the calendar?

You can set the parameters for which recipes appear on the calendar under 'options'  >> 'Brewing'.  Here you can set which folder or folders containing recipes will appear and whether or not they will appear on the calendar if you have your name listed as the brewer (very handy).

All my recipes are on the cloud. No save to log option! This makes no sense. I see no point in storing locally and on the cloud. This leads to mis-matches and confusion.

When I open my cloud folder I see a button called Copy to Folder, and if I select a recipe and click on that (or select a recipe and right click then select Copy to Folder) the list of destination folders includes the Brew Log. The Brew Log is local, but you could make a folder in the cloud that is Cloud Log and copy things there if you wish.

--GF

GregSalyer said:
All my recipes are on the cloud. No save to log option! This makes no sense. I see no point in storing locally and on the cloud. This leads to mis-matches and confusion.

If you're looking for software that takes the place of intellect, you need to look into artificial intelligence. A little common sense and initiative will produce  answers to most of your questions, as I'm sure you'll see in some of the responses.

cnalbers said:
Save to Log does not appear to exist in BS3.

It does. You won't see it when you're in the recipe. Highlight the recipe name and in the Home ribbon; right between "Copy to Folder and "Scale Recipe" you'll see it. If you don't already have a brewlog file, BeerSmith will automatically create it when you save the first recipe to it.

In Options > Advanced, you'll see a field where you can name the log folder.

Back