• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Where do you get your ingredients?

H

harebare

I still buy my adjuncts and hops (and occasional yeast) from a brew shop that I don't like. We call the proprietor "Brew Boy" and he's a snotty know-nothing. (I've only recently discovered that he doesn't know much. I always knew he was snotty.) I feel ripped off every time I leave there.

I used to buy my spray malt there too but since switching to all grain (at the urging of my friend, mentor and master brewer at my local brew pub - he's an artist working in beer) I tack an extra 25 kilo sack on to his order and I get my Canadian two row for $1/kilo. He's also generous with yeast if I get a container to him when he harvests.

I'd like to find a good on-line source for adjuncts and hops.

Any suggestions?

- Hare

I have a Brew Shop about a half hour drive that I don't like. Every time I go there he never has what I need I end up changing my recipes to match his stock. I went there after work one night and he closed early for some reason and that was the end for me. I have been trying to get most of my stuff online. Then to top it all off his attitude is unreal I have had better conversations with myself.

KEKO482 said:
I have a Brew Shop about a half hour drive that I don't like. Every time I go there he never has what I need I end up changing my recipes to match his stock. I went there after work one night and he closed early for some reason and that was the end for me. I have been trying to get most of my stuff online. Then to top it all off his attitude is unreal I have had better conversations with myself.

I think I know that guy. He runs my local shop too!

- Hare

I guess I'm lucky.  There's a shop not too far off the beaten path (for me anyway) called 'The Hop Shop' where the guy is even so kind as to grind my grain for me on the spot as well as answer questions with knowledgeable answers.

That's for ingredients since shipping for grain or hops is prohibitively expensive. 
As far as equipment goes I usually go online to Adventures in Homebrewing (awesome bunch!) or William's Brewing (last resort, but still cheaper than the local markup).

Maine Homebrewer said:
That's for ingredients since shipping for grain or hops is prohibitively expensive. 

Talk to your local brew pub and micro brewers. Mine lets me tack a sack of Canadian 2 row pale (25kilos) on to his order for his cost ($25US). You can't beat a buck a kilo!

Shipping only involves dragging it down the sidewalk to my car.

Mind you, not all brewers are this friendly and helpful. Probably doesn't hurt that my brew buddy and I drink A LOT of his beer and always rise and toast him loudly when he enters the bar. ;)

Luckily for me there are two HB shops in my area. I usually only shop at only one of them although both are great. The owner (Ray) is a great guy and usually is willing to talk about this and that www.biy-tx.com. He asked me to brew some beer for him in exchange for a store credit. I was happy to do it. No he does not have a huge selection but for me its worth it to have a place to go to talk with a warm body about beer.

I have a LHBS less than 7 miles from my house. It's part of a True Value Hardware store (a real Mom and Pop operation.) I try to buy as much of my stuff from them as I can. Even when I was an assistant brewer at a brewpub, I bought the majority of my grain from the HBS. I want them to be there when I REALLY need them. Just my two Lincolns.

Brew on,
jeff

Back