• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Not for the BMC Haters

Wastegate

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
This weekends batch will be a Light American Lager.
Ok you BMC Haters. I know I am going to get some flack for this. I'm ok with it. I am going to make a Lite American Lager. This one will have 30% adjuncts to it and a nice floral finish and should be a refreshing Porch/Lawnmower beer, also it should only have to lager for about 30 days. This is attempt number two at this recipe. The first one was fair so I made some changes, they are as follows: Substituting half of the 2 row with a Pilsner malt, First Wort Hopping this time, and Increasing the Adjuncts. I plan on a 11G batch, splitting the batch using two different yeasts. I have a lager yeast cake that I'm going to pitch half onto (WPL800) that made a great Pilsner, And I'm going to do a Steam beer with the other half using Danstar's Nottingham fermenting down around 60-64.

At this point you may be asking yourself (why make a BMC?). Well my favorite beer style is an English Amber and in the past I have not strayed to far from that style/type. I am trying to expand my brewing processes in an attempt to be a better brewer, as I hope we all would. I have recently started brewing lighter beers (Lagers that are light in Alcohol, Body, and Color) that have lots of character and complexity which is not as easy as it sounds. Personally, I am of the opinion that not everything is about Hop Monsters and High OG! I have enjoyed this journey tremendously and I hope everyone is open minded and gives it a try.

I'm calling this one "Spuds Evil Clone".
BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Spuds Evil Clone
Brewer: Preston Brown
Asst Brewer: Brown_Beer.gif
Style: Lite American Lager
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0) It's a Spudweiser Clone, what do you expect it will tast like!

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 11.50 gal     
Boil Size: 13.87 gal
Estimated OG: 1.040 SG
Estimated Color: 2.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 10.6 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount        Item                                      Type        % or IBU     
12 lbs        Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)            Grain        70.59 %     
3 lbs        Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM)                    Grain        17.65 %     
2 lbs        Rice, Minute Rice (1.0 SRM)              Grain        11.76 %     
0.75 oz      Hallertauer [4.80 %]  (60 min) (First WortHops        6.8 IBU     
0.75 oz      Hallertauer [4.80 %]  (20 min)            Hops        3.8 IBU     
0.50 oz      Hallertauer [4.80 %]  (0 min)            Hops          -           
0.50 tsp      Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min)                Misc                     
2.00 tbsp    PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 60.0 min)        Misc                     
1 Pkgs        Nottingham (Danstar #-)                  Yeast-Ale                 
1 Pkgs        Pilsner Lager (White Labs #WLP800)        Yeast-Lager               

Mash Schedule: (PB)  Double Infusion, Light Body
Total Grain Weight: 17.00 lb
----------------------------
(PB)  Double Infusion, Light Body
Step Time    Name              Description                        Step Temp   
30 min        Protein Rest      Add 15.30 qt of water at 132.1 F    122.0 F     
90 min        Saccrification    Add 13.60 qt of water at 187.9 F    150.0 F     
10 min        Mash Out          Add 13.60 qt of water at 210.3 F    168.0 F     

Cheers!

Preston

EDITED: 5/22/08
Maine Homebrewer said:
May your neighbors buy your children each a loud drum.
Seriously though, if you like crappy American water with a hint of uric acid then I wish you luck.
Thats rather hateful!
I LIKE BEER. All types and styles. Some more than others.
If I had called it a Light American Lager it would have been a different story! (Case in point, Same thread different forum: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=66384 ) Everyone would have gathered around the campfire and toasted the Light American Lager to everyones health and happiness, drank and be marry.

Expand your palate:
I heard it best said here. http://fictionengine.blogspot.com/2008/05/epic-transformation.html
[Quoted]
It’s my habit to try out a new beer wherever I go, and I am always disappointed when a bar sticks to the tried and true favourites, and doesn’t have an obscure local brew lurking at the back of it's fridge.
"I’m even more disappointed, even frustrated, with those of you out there who pick a beer and marry it, until death do you part. Can you really live a full life drinking only Heineken until you shuffle off this mortal coil? Let me put it in perspective for you. If you had a harem of 1000 beautiful woman, but chose only ever to sleep with the classic bleached blonde with the fake tits, would I be right to question your sanity?

So I beg of you to transform your drinking habits today. The next time you go to a bar, or to the bottle store, go for that beer you’ve never even heard of before, and give it a try. Break up with your bog-standard faithful beer, and as an ale-swilling Don Juan, sample as many different brews as you can. Who knows? Maybe the beer of your dreams is out there, waiting for you."[/Quoted]

All I'm trying to say is, be open minded, not everything is about Hop Monsters and Darker Beers. Honestly its not!

Cheers

Preston

May your neighbors buy your children each a loud drum.

Seriously though, if you like crappy American water with a hint of uric acid then I wish you luck.

There's nothing wrong with the style, IMHO. It's the BMC execution that leaves so much to be desired. I have to mow my lawn too! Send a little along. ;)

I'll be interested to hear how the recipe turns out.  I haven't tried the style because a number of my home brewing "mentors" have told me it's by far the toughest to perfect.  Nothing to hide off flavors in the beer, and everyone knows exactly what it should taste like.  What exactly was wrong with your previous attempt at the recipe?  To get the character and complexity you want, have you tried decoction mashing?  Good luck!

Preston,

I just noticed you are pitching both an ale and a lager yeast. How are you going to ferment this? Like a steam beer or like a lager?

Just curious,

- Hare

brewing-in-chandler said:
To get the character and complexity you want, have you tried decoction mashing?  Good luck!
Recently, I have done a Decoction mash on a bohemian Pilsner in an attempt to stay true to the style. But it had not occurred to me to try it with this one. The previous attempt had to much malt flavor I had 1# of corn and rice and did a Full bodied mash. Dont get me wrong, I drank the stuff because it was good. But it was not what I was hoping for. I chose a full bodied mash because I was not sure how much the rice and corn would mellow the taste. This time im going heavier on the corn and rice and doing a light mash profile. This should do the trick.
I picked up the grains yesterday and actually added one more pound of Corn, so I will change the recipe to reflect this change.

Harebare
Im pitching both an ale and a lager because this is an 11 gallon batch and I only have room in my keezer for one 6.5g primary lagering vessel. The ale will be fermented in my steel bathtub using ice blocks to keep the temp down around 65.

Thanks and Cheers!
Preston

Brew and drink what you like man!

If others don't like it, oh well.  That is my motto.  As long as think it is good that is all that matters. 

I don't look down at people that drink BMC or brew super lite beers.  I just don't choose them.

Brew on man!

Back