Author Topic: Why did you get into brewing?  (Read 11322 times)

Offline UselessBrewing

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • Useless Brewing
    • Useless Brewing
Re: Why did you get into brewing?
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2008, 07:54:44 AM »
I was talking to an Auditor for our company who brewed his own beer. I admit I was skeptical about how good it actually could be. I was hooked on an Oatmeal stout at the time and was spending a small fortune on it. So he brought me two beers that he had brewed, and they were really good! He told me how much he spent for the recipe, so I kept asking more and more questions. Next thing you know I was at the HB store purchasing a kit with the advise of my new found friend. I brewed like a mad man for a while using PM recipes, then I went AG. We have brew days at each others houses and help each other out to fine tune our processes. Drink some really good beer, and have fun doing it.

I think I enjoy the chemistry and processes of this hobby, It helps me fine tune my brewing. But I don't sweat it if something goes wrong, when it comes right down to it. It will still be beer in the end, and thats a good thing!

Be creative, ask lots of questions, help the community, DWHAHB.

Cheers

Preston
The woodpecker pecks, Not to annoy, But to survive!

Offline Wildrover

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
Re: Why did you get into brewing?
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2008, 09:31:00 PM »
I actually got into brewing twice.  Both times because of my wife (then girlfriend).  I've always liked different kinds of beer so one year for my birthday she thought it would be neat to buy me a Mr. Beer.  I used that up with little success but found that there was a homebrewing store fairly close.  I graduated from Mr. Beer into being an extract brewer.  For a long time I tried but either didn't pay attention or didn't know all the little subtleties that can have a profound effect on your beer.  So, most of my effort went into making less than desirable beer.  I also hated the bottling process, so much so that when I moved out of the house I was in and into an apartment I basically gave up the hobby all together. 

Fast forward a couple of years and its time to start thinking about putting a ring on that woman's finger.  We used to joke that if I got her a ring I would get a kegarator.  This seemed great when I was homebrewing, no more bottling, but I wasn't brewing at the time but I ran with the joke though, even if I wasn't brewing the idea of a kegrator still sounded pretty freakin cool to me. 

Well, the night of our rehearsal dinner, in front of a large number of people, she explained the story and told me that I had a kegarator waiting on me when we came back from our honeymoon.

Anyway, when we got back, sure enough, there it was, most beautiful thing ever!  I figured I should pick the hobby back up so I went back to extract brewing, then did a couple of partial mash brews then finally took the plunge into all grain and I don't know if its because now I read everything I can and pay a lot more attention or that AG just makes better beer but I can safely say that what I'm doing now is light years ahead of those early Mr. Beer days.