• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Est Post Boil Grav. incorrect where Top Up Water has been spec'd in equip profil

albyone

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have setup an equipment profile where I have specified a "Top Up Water" amount in the "Fermenter/Bottling Volumes". The idea being, I make a higher gravity wort, and water it down to achieve the desired OG.

For example, I have made a recipe for a end batch size into a fermentor of 66.6L at 1.045 OG from 50L of usable wort from the kettle. To do this, I setup an equipment profile with the "Top Up Water" amount in the "Fermenter/Bottling Volumes" section to specify 16.6L. From my calculations (using the dilution tool in Beersmith) I should therefore be expecting the gravity from the kettle to be 1.060. However, the "Brew Steps" brewsheet states "Estimated Post Boil Vol: 54.69 l and Est Post Boil Gravity: 1.045 SG" whereas I believe it should state "Estimated Post Boil Vol: 54.69 l and Est Post Boil Gravity: 1.060 SG".

Is this a bug or my misunderstanding of how the software should work?

Thanks!

From what I can put together, BeerSmith does not actually have a data point for 'post-boil gravity', but instead uses the OG reading into fermenter as the post-boil gravity on the brew steps print out.  So you are correct that it should be reading the expected post boil gravity as 1.060 such that when you dilute it going into the fermenter you will achieve your target of 1.045.  So, for the present you will need to be aware of this issue and see if Brad picks up on this for the next update.

Back