• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

A couple questions on rye

H

harebare

First, does anyone have a clone recipe for Hop Rod Rye (Bear Republic Brewing Comp., Sonoma Co.)?

I purely purely love this specialty ale and have been trying to reproduce it by slowly increasing the amount of malted rye in my pale ale recipe. I'm getting there too slowly and with some unintended consequences along the way so it's time to ask a few questions.

• Does malted rye have the ability to convert starch to fermentable sugar in a mash in the same way that two row barely does or is it truly an adjunct?
  • If it does, is there anything I should know about differences between rye and barley? (For instance, say I was mashing ALL rye. Would I use the same mash temps as barley or would I need to adjust to get a given body?)
  • If it doesn't have the ability to convert on it's own, what is the lowest barley to rye ratio I can use to have enough enzymes to do the conversion trick. What effect does mash temp and technique have on the final product? i.e. What's the best mash profile for high adjunct content grist?
  • In either case, I notice that rye is MUCH harder when I hand crank my grain cracker. Does this hardness mean I should do something different in the mash? Dough in for example.

Enquiring minds want to know.

- Hare

harebare said:
First, does anyone have a clone recipe for Hop Rod Rye (Bear Republic Brewing Comp., Sonoma Co.)?
I think I have one at home, but I will need to look and get back to you.
harebare said:
Does malted rye have the ability to convert starch to fermentable sugar in a mash in the same way that two row barely does or is it truly an adjunct?
It is not an adjunct, it has fermentables that are created by the enzymes just like barley. But it is not the same as 2 row. I think you can use up to 50%. But I would add some rice hulls in there to keep from getting a stuck sparge. You may want to try flaked rye. I have had good luck with this in the past. Just a thought.
Mash with the same mash profile as with barley, but I don't think I would make it 100% of the recipe.
harebare said:
What effect does mash temp and technique have on the final product? i.e. What's the best mash profile for high adjunct content grist?
I always do a protein rest at 125 deg F for 30 min before I bring the temp up to Saccrification Temps for 60-90min depending on the beer. Then I mash out at 168 - 175 but no higher.
Sorry I cant help you on the body and quite frankly, I don't remember what Hop Rod Rye is like so go by what you feel is the body of the beer. If it is light do a Saccrification rest at 150 for 90 min. If it is a full body take it up to 158 for 60 min.

If I have a recipe i will post if for you.

Cheers

Preston

This recipe is from Brew your Own Magazine and not my own.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Hop Rod Rye
Brewer: Preston Brown
Asst Brewer: Brown_Beer.gif
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.25 gal     
Boil Size: 6.63 gal
Estimated OG: 1.072 SG
Estimated Color: 13.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 131.2 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: - 75%
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount        Item                                      Type        % or IBU     
8 lbs 12.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)            Grain        58.29 %     
2 lbs 8.0 oz  Rye Malt (4.7 SRM)                        Grain        16.66 %     
1 lbs 4.0 oz  Rye, Flaked (2.0 SRM)                    Grain        8.33 %       
1 lbs 2.4 oz  Munich Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM)              Grain        7.66 %       
10.0 oz      Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)              Grain        4.16 %       
10.0 oz      Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM)                  Grain        4.16 %       
1.8 oz        Black Malt (Hoepfner) (600.0 SRM)        Grain        0.73 %       
0.75 oz      Amarillo Gold [8.50 %]  (Dry Hop 7 days)  Hops          -           
1.00 oz      Centennial [10.00 %]  (60 min)            Hops        45.8 IBU     
1.00 oz      Tomahawk [15.00 %]  (60 min)              Hops        68.6 IBU     
1.00 oz      Centennial [10.00 %]  (60 min)            Hops        45.8 IBU     
1.00 oz      Centennial [10.00 %]  (30 min)            Hops        35.2 IBU     
1.00 oz      Tomahawk [15.00 %]  (0 min)              Hops          -           
1.00 tsp      Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min)                Misc                     
1 Pkgs        GF All American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1272)  Yeast-Ale                 

------------------------------------------

Looks like a Light Mash schedule 152 Sacrification

Ferment at 68 deg F.

Cheers!

Thanks, Preston!

It's strangely close to where I started (albeit with a half mash and spraymalt). Now I really can't wait to taste the 11lb 2 row, 5 lb rye in the primary. But I guess it's back to the drawing board on HRR. I'll try this one the first chance I get.

- Hare

harebare said:
Now I really can't wait to taste the 11lb 2 row, 5 lb rye in the primary.
Can you send me a couple bottles? That does intrigue me!

Cheers!

Preston

Preston,

I'll report back on the result and if you really want some, sure. I can always spare a bottle for a brewing bud.

- Hare

Back