• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Adding yields for extract

A

atarlecky

Hello,

I am trying to add a new extract to my "Grains and Extracts" section. Specifically the following one:

http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Assets/PDFs/Briess_PIS_CBW_Pilsen_Light_DME.pdf

My question is this... based on the information from Briess how do I determine the yield and "Dry Yield Fine Grain" fields in the "New Grain or Extract" dialog?

Thanks,

Alex

Hi,
  The dry yield applies to grains that are mashed.  For DME, use a potential of 1.044, since they are nearly pure extracts.

Cheers,
Brad

Brad,

Thanks for the quick response. Is 1.044 a "magic number" of some kind? I am confused why I wouldn't put 1.033 or 1.065 or whatever number. Is that number calculated or displayed somewhere on a form from the manufacturer?

Hi,
  1.044 is typical for dry extract.  1.046 would basically be 100% fermentable sugar, and dry extract is very close to that in terms of yield for OG.

Brad

Back