• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Comments on my rye-based Cali Common recipe

cmbrougham

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Hey all. Wondering if I could get some comments/feedback/guffaws regarding my latest concoction: a Cali Common styled beer that uses flaked rye.

Rye Smile - in the California Common idiom

7.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2 SRM) Grain 63.6 %
2.00 lb Rye, Flaked (2 SRM) Grain 18.2 %
1.00 lb Munich Malt (9 SRM) Grain 9.1 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60 SRM) Grain 4.5 %
0.50 lb Caramunich Malt (56 SRM) Grain 4.5 %
2.00 oz Northern Brewer [7.1%] (60 min) Hops 50.3 IBU
1.00 oz Mt. Hood [5.4%] (5 min) Hops 3.8 IBU
1.00 oz Crystal [4.2%] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
1 Pkgs San Francisco Lager (White Labs #WLP810) [Starter 1000 ml] [Cultured] Yeast-Lager

Estimated Original Gravity: 1.060 SG
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.019 SG
Estimated Color: 10 SRM
Bitterness: 54.1 IBU
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 5.3 %

I'll mash at 154F for 60 minutes. Sparge and boil--all boil hops are pellets. Primary at 60F for a week; secondary at 54F for a week; add Crystal leaf hops for another week.

Your thoughts, please, and thanks!

colin

Colin,
 Again I apologize - December was a little crazy for us all.

Overall I would say this looks quite good.  The parameters (color, etc) are generally within range, though I'm not sure exactly what the rye might add to the taste.

I would also say that the OG and bitterness are a bit on the high side, but that may be OK as long as they are balanced.

One other thing - I'm not sure you want to add Munich and Caramunich - these will sweeten the beer which will take away from the stark lager bitterness of the California Common.

Cheers!
Brad

Thanks Brad... better late than never :D

I ended up cancelling this brew, anyway. I was dissuaded by  a couple of things. First off, a couple other brewers had the same concerns about the IBUs. Basically, they said that too much bitterness, as well as hop flavor and aroma, would squash the rye flavor. Also, I later found out that I was going to be receiving a couple of rye-containing brews from a fellow in California, and I wanted to try those first.

I'll probably be resurrecting a rye beer in one of my next few brews. I'm going to tone it down though, and really work to bring out the rye character (the rye beer I was sent was great!). Thanks again for the input.

Back