• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

stirring the wort

G

Greg

Hi

I've been looking at a lot of boiler designs and have found that
most people put a motorized stirrer on the lid when boiling.
I seen this on home made and in different forms on commercial boilers.
The commercial systems do talk allot about agitating the wort.

How important do you think this is to the quality of the wort?

Cheers
Greg

I have not seen much about this subject.
I think it is very important for commercial breweries because of the volumes that they are dealing with and keeping the heat evenly distributed which prevents scorching. I don't think it is as important for the Home brewer because the volume is so small comparatively and the wort is constantly moving in the kettle. My old kettle was a thin SS design and it still had some scorching which added caramel flavors to the beer and for my tastes was very pleasant. I am switching to a keggle this weekend so I don't know how it will turn out. I will be making a light American Lager so it will be a long Sacrification rest and a 120 min slow rolling boil. So I probably wont know until I make the Munich Dunkel before I find out about carmelization with the new Keggle setup.

The thing to remember is this is your hobby and if you want to add a motorized stirrer to your rig, then make it happen.  ;D

Cheers

Preston

What Preston said: The more cool stuff you build, the better. ;)

I'm boiling (and mashing) in an aluminum turkey fryer. (When I was brewing mini/half mash recipies, the turkey basket made a nice platform for sparging the grain which was in 2 or 3 big socks!) I worried about scorching the wort and very quickly got a 1/4" thick steel plate cut to just a bit over the diameter of the fryer to even out the heat. Works like a charm and I don't feel much need to stir once I have a good boil going.

Some day I'll spring for a really nice restaurant grade stock pot but for now, Mr. Turkey does the trick.

- Hare

Hey thanks guys

I will be adding the stirrer as I do seem to get the caramelized flavours which I'm not to keen on.
Check out my all grain system theres a pic on my proflie.
It's 2 X 70ltr ss stock pots commercial grade with 2.4kw immersion element with thermostat control.
The mash tun is 60ltr commercial ice cooler box that has food grade plastic lining.
Features: 240v march pump, 9mtr counterflow wort chiller, bottom boil is also a still.

I have converted the bottom boiler to a dual purpose by putting a seal on the lid and hold down
clamps on the pot, and then I put a condenser on the lid and I can now do a 60ltr wash at 90% alcohol.

So as you can see adding features to my system is not a problem.HEHE  ;D

Cheers
Greg
MAY THE BREW BE WITH YOU!!!!

Back