• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Wanted: Barley Wine Recipe

H

harebare

I know. There are as many styles of "barley wine" as there are brewers. (Perhaps more?) But I'm thinking ahead for a Christmas present for one of my sons and he's drop dead in love with the local brewer's version which comes out in the darkest days of winter.

I'm looking for that rich, dark and complex strong ale that has fruit and earth notes like a great Bordeaux, about 12% ABV, deep ruby color, slight but long lasting head, moderate to low carbonation with tiny bubbles. There's a spiciness there but you wouldn't think it had cardamon or mace in it, just maybe some exotic hop you can't put your finger on. It's the kind of thing your pub serves in an 8 oz snifter but charges you for two pints.

The one I'm trying to duplicate is fermented twice and aged a year in french wine barrels. (Some years, bourbon barrels and I like this version less well.) I'm looking to make 5 gals or less so I'm hoping somebody has an oak chip technique that works.

I have a few off the web but none looks like it is headed quite where I'd like to go.

Y'all seem so creative so I thought I'd ask. ;)

- Hare

The closest I have (I think) to what you are talking about is a Spiced RIS http://beerdujour.com/Recipes/SpicedStout.htm

Make a good English BW,  add oak and sample until you have just a bit more oak than what you want then pull off the oak.  Then add the Bordeaux to taste.

Is something on that line what you are looking for?

Fred

Thanks Fred.

The grain bill is pretty close to what I found but without the spices and honey. You actually add Bordeaux? Interesting idea.

Now that I think of it, I'm trying to duplicate some of the depth of color, complexity and earthiness of a great French red. I actually added 4 oz of biscuit to get that faint hint of stone oven bread you find in the wines of Saint-Émilion or the Médoc.  Adding a midlin' bottle of Château Haut-Brion would sure run my cost up. (Like by 600%!) ;)

When you condition in a barrel that was previously used to condition bourbon, scotch, or wine, when you condition beer in the same barrel you will get some of the spirits that were used to condition it.  This is just a way to do it and control it on a homebrew scale.  Besides,  you get to drink the leftovers.

Fred

Yum!  ;D

Obviously with 4 gals (4.5 in the primary but I expect some waste in trying to get it perfectly clear), I'm not using a wine barrel. Just French oak chips.

- Hare

You are talking about a big beer, which will take some time.  The clarity will come, just don't hurry it.

Fred

I've heard great things about this http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=26724. I have a 5G batch in secondary right now.

Cheers

Preston

Back