• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Turbid mash

petedadink

Apprentice
Reaction score
Ive been considering doing a lambic . I want to do a turbid mash. Can I just add a mash schedule or has someone else created one already?

Here is my Turbid Mash Schedule based off the Cantillon turbid mash schedule. You MUST note that Turbid Mashing does not fit into BeerSmith so Make sure you read everything and understand it completely before you try it. You will need two Kettles and two burners to make this work. I based this as an infusion temp mash and adjusted the totals based off of 8# total Grain weight, 6G water in MT and 2G Sparge. 5 gallons of wort with an original gravity of 1.048. I make the assumption that we can get 30 points/pound/gallon. We need a total of 240 points. One pound of grain yields 30 points. We want a 1.048 OG wort of 5 gallons. This is 48 points X 5 gallons = 240 points total. 240 points/30 points/lbs of grain = 8 lbs of grain.

If more than 8# of grains are added you must add .4q for each # of grain, which either decreases your Sparge water or increases your boil times to end up with the correct amount in your Primary.

Brad may add this type Mash schedule to BS, that would be up to him. It is very time consuming and not an easy Mash to follow for the Home Brewer. That being said, I have only done this mash schedule in theory ONLY and have NOT yet attempted it.

Grain Weight: 8.00 lb Mash PH: 5.4 PH
Grain Temperature: 72.0 F Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F

Name Description          Step Temp      =      Step Time
MT Dough-in Add 4.80 qt of water at 125.4 F = 113.0 F 15 min
MT Temp Rise Add 4.80 qt of water at 142.9 F = 126.0 F 15 min
Remove 3q to K2
MT Temp Rise Add 7.20 qt of water at 159.7 F = 149.0 F 45 min
Remove 6.9q to K2. Heat to 190F
MT Temp Rise Add 7.20 qt of water at 169.6 F = 162.0 F 30 min
Remove 9.1q to K1 and Heat
Add K2 to MT 20 min
Sparge 2G 190Deg Water Add 8.00 qt of water at 0.0 F 0.0 F 0 min

Notes
5.5G Batch: 8G Total Water Used. MT= Mash Tun K1= Kettle 1 K2= Kettle 2

Best of luck

Cheers

Preston

Attachments

• Turbid Mash.bsm
    48 KB · Views: 396
Thanks . When I try this i will let you know if it worked or not. I currently have enough equipment to do it . now I just need the time. Thanks again

Back