• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Belgian Dubel for Malbec Wine Barrell

Scott Ickes

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
My apologies for being gone for so long.  I've been traveling a lot for the last year or so.

I thought I'd share what myself and 9 other homebrewers did last weekend.  We brewed up 68 gallons of Belgian Dubel, using the 300 gallon boil pot at the brew shed of one of our clubs members homes.  We put 18 pounds of homemade Belgian Dark Candy in it.  Photos here.  We have a recently emptied Malbec wine barrel (59 gallons barrel) that we're going to age it in once it's through fermentation.

The beer is in 4 carboys (5 gallons in each) and a food grade plastic barrel 48 gallons in a 60 gallon barrel).  Our friend has three of these barrels he purchased new and converted into fermenters for large club projects.  There is a Chocolate Imperial Stout in the other barrel in the photos, that is destined for a 53 gallon bourbon barrel.

I thought many of you would find this interesting.

Back