• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Carbinating Question

Daytondave

Apprentice
Reaction score
This winter I built a keezer and will be kegging beer for the fist time. I am new at this so please bear with me. My first keg will be easy, hook it up, force carbonate, and then turn the regulator down for dispensing. But what do I do if I want to add a second keg a few weeks later? I can't turn the regulator up or it will mess with dispending the first keg. I could use the valves on the distributor to control the CO2 but this seems too random, but then again, that may be the whole point to the valves. Ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_0030.JPG
    IMG_0030.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 7
  • 873EE681-.jpg
    873EE681-.jpg
    801.2 KB · Views: 8
Greetings Daytondave - I can't comment on the regulator question because I bottle.  But I can give kudos for the very nice work on your keezer!

If you want to carb faster at a higher pressure then you'll have to use the shutoff valves at your manifold.  If you don't mind waiting, keep the pressure consistent and the 2nd beer will carb up in a couple weeks.

The former is what I do.  The carbonation of the 1st beer will be enough pressure to serve it while its shutoff is closed.  If you do run out of pressure in keg 1, just pop open the shutoff valve for a second or two to bump it up.  You could keep that shutoff closed for a long time and wouldn't lose carbonation.  Kind of a dance, but worth it to carb quickly in my book.

Once keg 2 is carbed and both shutoffs are open, unless you have check valves, they'll more or less equalize over time.  So I personally don't overthink the differences in carbonation levels for different brew styles.

Back