• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

BH Efficiency Vs. Meas Efficiency

Daytondave

Apprentice
Reaction score
I am trying to understand the difference between the two numbers. My last brew the BH Eff was 72% and the Meas Eff was 54. Beer smith says the BH Eff of 72% is OK, but it does not give any guidance on the Meas Eff, so I don't know if that number is good or bad (I suspect it is bad).

I'm am confused, please help ;D

Brew house efficiency is the number you tell BeerSmith that your process is capable of.  'Meas Eff' is the actual efficiency you achieved from brewing the recipe when you have entered in all the brew data into the recipe.  Until you actually brew your recipe, you can ignore the 'meas eff' as it means nothing.

I am not 100% sure what it means either, but I think it means if you start with 100 liters in the boil kettle, and you end up with 80 liters, then your BH efficiency is 80%. Can anyone confirm whether or not this is correct?

It has more to do with the amount of sugar potential you start with in your grain bill and how much of that sugar actually reaches the fermenter.  If you start expecting a gravity of 1.050 at 80 liters in your in the fermenter based upon a BH efficiency estimated at 70% , but actually get 80 liters of 1.060 wort in your fermenter then you actually achieved a BH efficiency of 84%.  This is regardless of whether you started with 100 liters at the start of boil or 110 liters at the start of the boil. 

Back