• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Text about brewing for 3d animation

johnsinclair

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I hope this is the right category to put my issue in..
I just created a 3d animation about beer brewing. Because I'm no English native speaker, I just wanted to know, if my translation is o.k. or if there are any mistakes in the description of the brewing process or the choice of words.
I got some tips on the original text, which I changed now in the English version.
If someone here liked to read and check my text, I'd appreciate it very much.
Thanks a lot
Cheers

Oliver

P.S.: I f you like to watch the animation in German, please have a look here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xn5ebtGn9Bs

Now here is the text:
Yet, how is our beer brewed?
As stated in the German purity law from 1516 maintained as a tradition until this day the sole ingredients of beer are specified as water, barley and hops. The fourth essential ingredient is yeast.

In the following we will show you how the beloved ?barley juice? is produced.

Barley or wheat grains are soaked in water in order to make them sprout, this induces the formation of enzymes. Subsequently the grain is carefully roasted.

The resulting malt is stored in silos and later ground in a malt mill, enabling the inherent substances to dissolve more effectively in the brewing process.

Next malt and warm water are mixed together in the mash tun where they are constantly stirred whilst the temperature is raised from 45 to 78 degrees Celsius. There are various steps during the mashing process where the mash is held at a certain temperature so that the malt?s natural enzymes can convert the starches into sugar ( so-called saccharification).

The mash is now purified in the lauter tun which separates the liquid from the grain. Slowly the brew is filtered through a bed of malt grist at the bottom of the tun, and run through a sieve further down. Rotating blades or knives in the lauter tun provide a good flow of the liquid by cutting through the grist and loosening it .

The resulting liquid containing the dissolved extracts is called wort. Hot water is continually added to further extract any remaining ingredients. This resulting original wort is the key to the taste of the beer.

Spent grain, the solid residues of the brewing process consisting mainly of grain , sprout shells as well as insoluble proteins, can still be of use. It serves as a high-quality feed in cattle farming to increase the milk yield of cows.

At this stage hops are added to the liquid wort which is then boiled in a brew kettle for up to two hours at more than 80 degrees Celsius. The beer?s taste and shelf life are determined by the amount and type of hops used.

The choice of hops used is a key element of the brewing process as the variety chosen as well as its area of cultivation can influence the taste of the resulting beer significantly.

The more hops added by the brewer the more bitter the finished beer becomes. The amount of hops added ranges between 18 to 40 mg per liter.

After boiling the wort is pumped rapidly into the so-called whirlpool. Due to the rotation the residues of hops and protein sink to the centre of the kettle forming a cone. In this way the solid particles are separated from the wort.

Using a plate heat exchanger the hot wort is cooled to the so called pitching temperature as yeast only ferments at a low temperature. The hot wort enters the cooler from the side and flows through profiled plates which are cooled internally by iced water entering from the other side.
The heat extracted during the process can be reutilized for brewing.

The cooled wort is filled into the fermentation tank where yeast is added. Depending on the type of yeast used the required temperature for the wort ranges from 5 to 20 degrees Celsius. Related to the type of beer he wants to produce the brewer uses either top-fermenting or bottom-fermenting yeast.
Top-fermenting yeast used to make ales, dark beers and wheat beers, forms flocks during fermentation which rise due to carbonic acid, leaving foam on the surface of the beer. This process requires warmer temperatures. Bottom-fermenting yeast needs lower temperatures, it does not flock but sinks to the bottom. This is used to make pils, malt and lager beers.

The yeast converts the wort?s malt sugar into carbonic acid and alcohol. When this process is completed it is removed and the young beer is ready.

In storage tanks the secondary fermentation process continues where the remaining sugar is converted into alcohol. The taste is refined and carbonic acid is bound. The rest yeast and protein sink to the bottom. Depending on the type of beer required the young beer stays in the storage tanks for up to 3 months.

By using kieselguhr filters yeast and other undesired sediments are removed.

Subsequently instead of pasteurizing by heating a plate and frame filter press can be used whereby the beer is slowly pressed through individual layers of cellulose filters. This procedure is used for Bright beers, e.g. pils.

Finally the beer is filled into various containers such as barrels, casks, bottles or cans. At this stage it is most important to prevent the absorption of oxygen as this would affect the quality of the beer.

Hi Oliver;

Very nice animation. I love the detail to the whole process.

Is this presentation aimed at consumers? If so, a more casual English wording would be beneficial.

Great job on the animation. Can't wait till you get the English done.

Back