• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Keezer Collar Size Question

wbh01

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I have a 7 c.f. chest freezer that I use for my fermentations.  I'm considering adding a keezer collar to it to give it enough space to hold my FastFerment conical fermentor, but this would mean that the collar would need to be a about a foot wide (made of 2x12 lumber) to handle the height of the fermentor.  that would add about 5 c.f. to my keezer.

Does anyone have any insight into how big the collar can be and have the keezer still maintain temperature?  I'd also insulate the collar with foam board, and put a fan inside to circulate air.

Thanks!

Will

I used 2 x 10 without any issues.  I also put a coffin box on top (Mine is for beer taps, not fermentation).  I have two fans (one pulling air up into the coffin box and one pushing it back down into the freezer area.  I also used the 2" foam insulation.  I also used the expanding spray foam in all of the places that the foam meets.

I don't think that you'll have an issue.

Considering the temperature you'll be set at, there won't be a problem with the extra space. The unit will likely work less than it was designed to.

Back