• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

NEW ENGLAND IPA RECIPE

BILLY BREW

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Brew Club project; New England IPA
Can't find outlines on the style, but have found some bits and pieces.
Looking at;
10lb 2 row
2lb flaked oats
4 oz cara
London Ale III
All in primary no hops at boil
first 3 days @ 70 degrees
3 oz mosiac
3 oz galaxy
Everything I read says not to use hops in boil because this style is supposed to be all about flavor and aroma. Never done that before...Looking for input.
Thanks fellas!
Next 4 days @ 65 degrees
3 oz eldorado
2 oz centennial
Secondary @ 60 degrees for 2 weeks
2 oz Mosaic
2 oz Amarillo

Greetings Billy - I, personally, would not use hops in the primary fermenter. Doing so will cause a lot of the oils and other flavor compounds to be lost with fermentation.  I would, however, suggest adding your hops to the whirlpool.  This way you won't be adding hops to the boil - staying true to what you've read - but still get the hops flavor and aroma without much bitter.  I would then load up the secondary with your suggested hops to really boost the aroma.  Just a suggestion.

I second the whirlpool.  I haven't tried the early hop addition to the fermenter, but a lot of people do, so I say go for it.

KellerBrauer said:
Greetings Billy - I, personally, would not use hops in the primary fermenter. Doing so will cause a lot of the oils and other flavor compounds to be lost with fermentation.  I would, however, suggest adding your hops to the whirlpool.  This way you won't be adding hops to the boil - staying true to what you've read - but still get the hops flavor and aroma without much bitter.  I would then load up the secondary with your suggested hops to really boost the aroma.  Just a suggestion.

Actually, the purpose of adding hops during active fermentation is to induce a biotransformation of the hop oils, particularly some of the more volatile ones, which will promote greater hop aroma.  This is very much yeast dependent as many strains will preferentially adsorb the oils as a protective sheath once the majority of fermentation has been achieved.  A good introductory article can be found at http://draftmag.com/hop-compound-biotransformation/.  A  more scholarly article can be found here: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/257557116_Biotransformation_of_hop-derived_aroma_compounds_by_Saccharomyces_cerevisiae_upon_fermentation.

While there are some changes, either oxidation of the oils or reactions to create fatty alcohols, the jury is out on how much perceived bitterness can be achieved via this method.  I've read some cases where they claim obvious differences and others where it does not appear to create a meaningful difference to most drinkers.  Either way, I don't think I would rely on this to give enough bitterness for an IPA style beer without some background bitterness from either late hop additions or as KeelerBrauer and enkamania suggested a strong whirlpool hop addition.

My own first attempt at this is a wheat beer which will be bottled today and I have combined both a dry hop at high krausen and a more traditional dry hop [it was a planned double dry hopping anyway, I just moved the first one up in the time table].  Unfortunately, brewing so late in my 'brewing season' I did not have the chance to split the batch to get a true side-by-side comparison (no time with goats kidding and so many kids to feed) but if it turns out well, I may try this again next year and plan on splitting the batch then.

My own attempts at a NEIPA style have relied on very minimal first wort hops, some very late boil addition (<10 min) hopping and very heavy whirlpool hopping with several stages of hop additions on top of double dry hopping.  The majority (75% to 80%) of the IBU comes from the whirlpool additions.  I get some really nice IPAs from them, but have yet to accomplish a real strong 'juicy' impression nor the opaque visual impression of something like Treehouse Orange Julius and similar brews.

I'm drinking my first attempt at this style. I used 10g at FWH,  a small amount at 10 minutes and a very large amount in the whirlpool. I added 60g into the fermenter once the gravity had dropped to 1.020 for 7 days then added 90g for 4 days. I used equal amounts of Mosaic, Ekuanot and El Dorado. It has huge citrus, tropical fruit flavours and relatively little bitterness. It's hazy but not as much as I expected. I like it a lot.

Thanks very much for the input, gents. I will be working this up tomorrow, I think, as it will be my first day of vacation.
I'll take considerations and let you all know what I finally did with a flavor profile.

Put it together yesterday. Great start to ferment. Did the whirlpool and will add more to the secondary. My brewing room smells amazing!!!!!!Thanks for the input fellas. I will post when it is done and let you know how it turned out.

Update. Bottling tomorrow. Final G is 1.010 May have over stepped my hops limit a bit on this one...But we'll see.
Anyone able to get a Style guide for this? I was just going to put one together based on my recipe, but would like to have an "official one, if you know of any that I can put into the BS system. ;D

As promised. The results were out of this world! I took it to my homebrew club for their thoughts and didn't tell them the hops bill till afterwards. Everyone wanted the recipe, so I took that as a success. But most of all, it tastes great sitting on my front porch!

Did you get 'haze for dayz'?  ;)  I tried something similar and it was quite clear.  I was surprised... I did use Whirlfloc but the recipe called for it.

Haze stays! As it should for this style. Gets better every time I crack a bottle open... Ahh, bring on those 90 degree days!

So you managed to use all of the recipe hops bill but in whirpool/flameout and dry hopping in secondary as the other posters suggested ( spot on advice! )  Could you update the final recipe hop usage, I am doing a homegrown columbus hop IPA next and your recipe sounds great
:)

Update... Still hazy and still delish. I made a second batch using all hops from my vines that I am going to bottle today. Will obviously have a different character, being a single hop Centennial, but should highlight all aspects of the hops. The first version was very well received by the club and even the master brewer at the establishment we meet at (though he said he would get fired if he went to ownership with a brew bill like this) Thank god for homebrewing, where we can taste things that will never hit the open market.

Back