• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Printing broken, Tab management issues, slow/beachballing - v 2.3.12, Mac / OS X

sminar

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm having trouble Printing and experiencing slowdowns and unexpected behavior in BeerSmith2.

I've been using BeerSmith2 pretty much without issue since around July 2016. I'm using the OS X version, currently 2.3.12.
I started experiencing unusual behavior with the app a few days ago. I had created and worked on a new recipe without issue. In my workflow, I usually create a recipe then copy it to my Brew Log, changing the name to reflect a current batch/instance/brew session. The copy and rename went fine. I started adjusting the recipe based on ingredients in stock. All seemed fine. I can't retrace the precise steps to uncover possible triggers, but at some point after working with the recipe in the Brew Log, shutting down, opening, doing more work, I started to encounter really slow opening and shutdown of BeerSmith2. I then tried to open the recipe to work with it again and found it very slow to open. Once open, I attempted to print via File->Print. The print dialog would appear after a bit. It would claim there are 3 pages that need to be printed, but the preview contents showed blank pages. I went ahead and printed. It took a fairly long time and produced only one blank page.

I tried to close the recipe tab, but the app wouldn't close the tab. I was able to open a 2nd recipe tab, sometimes it would close, sometimes it wouldn't. I attempted to use Print Preview (and Print) on different recipes in different folders. Sometimes the dialog would appear, sometimes it wouldn't. Only once in many, many attempts did I actually get a dialog with a recipe showing in the preview.

I then tried to bring up the Hydrometer adjust tool and it wouldn't even show up. The app is behaving like the window management features are messed up.

I restarted my machine to see if it might be OS X / session problem related. No change.

I deleted the app and reinstalled from a fresh dmg download. No change.

I searched for cache files, plists, pref files and renamed them to backup versions thinking there might be some corruption. No change.

So I'm stuck with a non-working BeerSmith2 at the moment, afraid to do any work on the recipe.

Of course it happened right as I needed to print out to begin yesterday's brew session!

Would love to hear ideas on how to get back to working state.

Cheers,
Steve

Back