• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

broke flask while making starter :-/

ryancoker

Apprentice
Reaction score
So while creating my first ever yeast starter I managed to break the flask... (long story short I pushed an airlock stopper in too far and was trying to get it out... aka, I had dumbass moment...)

All the piece broke outward so there is no glass in the starter. I was able to sanitize another funnel and half growler and transfer the wort/starter into it. I also was able to jury-rig a stopper and air-lock on it. (turns out I was out of tin-foil)

My concern is how long I had to leave it "exposed" while figuring all this out (a good 20 extra minutes).

I sanitized the crap out of everything with a Star San solution spray bottle. I am probably just over worried but figured I'd bring it to the collective for thoughts?

I've been shaking it every a couple times an hour. (I have it here at my work desk).
The airlock is blurpping once every couple minutes until I give it a good shake which will cause it to blurp a bunch.
A few hours after pitching and after a good 45 minutes without a shake I did notice there was a little bit of a layer forming at the bottom. But I gave it another good shake and is still making blurpping sounds.

I smelled the top of the airlock and it smells yeast and delicious.

So what are your thoughts? Am I being paranoid by worrying at all?

Without knowing anything about your ambient conditions, I would guess that it is probably OK. 

I could never understand the use of an airlock on a starter.  I've always used sanitized aluminum foil which drapes at least 2 inches down from the lip of the flask.  If the purpose of a starter is to propagate the number of yeast cells, I want there to be access to oxygen to help with building sterols for good cell wall health and induce budding.  Thus, I want to protect the starter from contamination while having some ability for air exchange.  Gravity, being a real b*, helps to keep bacteria and wild yeasts from falling upwards so the starter is protected as long as it is not placed in an area with a strong airflow.  Meanwhile, since the flask is not sealed, there is some air exchange created by the escaping CO2 which will allow some influx of air (containing Oxygen) into the flask.

That's just my take on it and my rationale behind it.

Oginme said:
Without knowing anything about your ambient conditions, I would guess that it is probably OK. 

I could never understand the use of an airlock on a starter.  I've always used sanitized aluminum foil which drapes at least 2 inches down from the lip of the flask.  If the purpose of a starter is to propagate the number of yeast cells, I want there to be access to oxygen to help with building sterols for good cell wall health and induce budding.  Thus, I want to protect the starter from contamination while having some ability for air exchange.  Gravity, being a real b*, helps to keep bacteria and wild yeasts from falling upwards so the starter is protected as long as it is not placed in an area with a strong airflow.  Meanwhile, since the flask is not sealed, there is some air exchange created by the escaping CO2 which will allow some influx of air (containing Oxygen) into the flask.

That's just my take on it and my rationale behind it.

since I ran out of foil (and can't make a run anytime soon) what to you think about just removing the water from the airlock?

Oginme said:
With a 3-piece, that would work well.  S-lock, I am not so sure.

thanks a lot for the help! I have an empty 3-piece on there now.  8)

Back