• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Can Beersmith2 be synced with dropbox if both operating systems are different?

eddiek85

Apprentice
Reaction score
I have a windows home computer that I use beersmith on and I also have a laptop I was hoping to install it on. However, my laptop is linux. I was wondering if this would cause any problems if I tried to sync the win and linux folders on the same dropbox folder.

BeerSmith is not designed to be used that way and can be unstable. You may find that it overwrites files when you didn't want that to happen. BeerSmith is designed to be used with the proprietary cloud, which supports all platforms, but more than a few recipes and you'll need a subscription. This cloud will hold recipes, but not logs, custom ingredients, profiles or inventory. These are sorely needed upgrades, IMO.

brewfun said:
BeerSmith is not designed to be used that way and can be unstable. You may find that it overwrites files when you didn't want that to happen. BeerSmith is designed to be used with the proprietary cloud, which supports all platforms, but more than a few recipes and you'll need a subscription. This cloud will hold recipes, but not logs, custom ingredients, profiles or inventory. These are sorely needed upgrades, IMO.

Dang, well that's kinda disappointing. I was under the assumption that all of this got saved. How about under "File > Recover From Backup" and "Export All". Is there a backup file that can be produced? If that is the case maybe one would be able to save everything on the desktop and then any changes made could be recovered on the Laptop and vice versa.

I tried this and it doesn't seem to be the case. If I'm in the the hops tap it saves all the hop info into a bsmx, if in the equipment tab it saves all that info to a bsmx file and so forth. So if you wanted to do that I think you'd have to go in and make a bsmx for each freakin tab and then import that and save it into the other computer's BS2 every time you want the information to be in sync with one another. Seems like a tedious thing. It'd be better if all of it could be saved in one go as a big backup file. I'm not a good programmer, but I don't think this would be a difficult task for a good one.

Ok wait a second... Sorry for the confusion. I backed up Beersmith using the DropBox folder and I noticed all of the  files for carbonation, grains, hops, notes, etc are updated. So if I'm using a second computer that is sharing this folder, wouldn't they keep all of this stuff in sync (not just the recipes)?

The short answer is yes.  Having said that, people have had problems with the BeerSmith program open on multiple computers and overwriting changes made by one with the other.  So, tread with caution and be aware of this issue.

Back