• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

medium crystal malt

On where?  On a recipe?  In the grain profiles? 

At least in my BeerSmith, the medium crystal malt is specified as Simpsons (the maltster) with a color of around 55 SRM. 

If it is from a recipe, does the recipe specify the color of the malt?

Greetings christerra99 - as oginme alluded to, your question has a number of different meanings. So, I will assume your question is in regard to a recipe where the exact ingredient is not that important.  Instead, the recipe author offers a "general" description for one of the ingredients.

So, I visited The Center of the Universe Brewing Co. and found this description:

http://www.cotubrewing.com/homebrewing/malt-profiles/

"Crystal/Caramel Malts:. These malts add the a beers color, mouth feel, and imparts a nutty or caramel flavor.  The intensity depends on the SRM ratings from 10-120L."

So with that in mind, Oginme's response is on target as 55 SRM would be exactly in the middle between 10 and 120, or "medium crystal".  120 - 10 = 110 / 2 = 55

i use medium crystal malt in my recipes and its not on the list when i go to design them on here

First thing to check is to make sure that when you go to add grains, make sure that the box next to the 'search' labeled as 'show only items in inventory' is unchecked.

Next, you can download the 'add-ons' for the Simpsons malts to bring these malts into your grain profiles.  You can do this by clicking on 'add-ons', then 'add' on the green plus sign in the pop up box.  This will give you another pop up box with the selection of available profiles, recipes, and ingredients that you can add to BeerSmith.  Scroll down to the 'Simpsons malts' and click on it to highlight it.  Then click on 'install add-on' to download it into your BeerSmith folder.  The malts should automatically appear in your 'grain' ingredient list when you go to 'add grain' to your recipe.

Back