• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Foaming

killrwv7703@yahoo.com

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I've got an issue with beers that taste and smell good (no funkiness) but develop a slow foaming after they're opened.  The beers are not over-carbonated with regard to mouthfeel.

From what I've read so far, this could be caused by excess hop debris in the fermenter and bottles and I need to filter my wort better.  Any other ideas?

Greetings kill - without further detail, it sounds to me like the beer has an excessive amount of protein.  Perhaps you will consider uploading your recipe for us to review??

Might look at your recipe and see if you are using crystal (or another head retention grain). The amount may be your problem...Happened to me a number of times before I figured it out. But uploading the recipe would give the "smart guys" a chance to give you the right answer...I am one of those "seat of the pants" brewers

I've made a couple gushers.  Both where IPAs.  I suspect my problem was too much high Alpha acid hops @ 60 minutes in combination with slight over carbonation.

I stole this info from the AHA:

"For all you hop-heads out there, here?s some more good news?hops help with foam stability. As mentioned above, the bitter substances from hops, isohumulones (a form of alpha acid), will help hold the bubbles together. These hydrophobic substances help form the framework for head formation."

So I would imagine a large amount of high Alpha acid hops in relation to the malt bill (my case) would result and an excessively stable foam.

Thanks for the replies guys.  This issue is occuring with a number of different recipes so I think it's more of a process issue. 

It does not occur with my lagers which I do use a secondary carboy to lager.  Perhaps by moving to the secondary I'm removing much of the hop debris and excess yeast to leave a cleaner final beer that doesn't foam?

Back