• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

No chill and "measured batch size"

userdan

Apprentice
Reaction score
I do a no chill and drain my hot wort directly into a keg for it to cool later. 

I measure and take gravity readings in the kettle prior to draining the hot wort into the keg.

The wort cools and "shrinks" in the keg. 

I assume the "Measure batch size" field on the session tab is for cooled wort that already shrunk 4%.

How will my no chill effect this number? 

measured batch size is the wort volume into the fermenter, which should be at room temperature or pitching temperature.  The value for thermal expansion does not affect this number at all.  What you will need to keep an eye on is that your volume at the end of the boil ['vols' tab > 'post boil vol'] does not exceed the volume of your keg that you pour the hot wort into for your cooling (no chill) to room temperature.

So will 10 gallons of hot wort cool to 9.6 gallons of room temperature wort?

Should the "Measured batch size" be what the wort would be at room temperature instead of hot?

So in my case, should I take my measurement of hot wort: (10 gallons) and reduce it by the (4%) shrinkage?

That would give me an input of 9.6 gallons instead of 10. 

Greetings userdan - I believe the "measured batch size" is the volume of cooled wort collected in the fermenter before the yeast is pitched.

userdan said:
Should the "Measured batch size" be what the wort would be at room temperature instead of hot?

YES!

So in my case, should I take my measurement of hot wort: (10 gallons) and reduce it by the (4%) shrinkage?

I would recommend taking your measurement after cooling.

That would give me an input of 9.6 gallons instead of 10.

Back