• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

What is this soggy mess on top of my beer?

jmeisternixon

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Quick question. I am brewing my second all grain batch. this one is a little over 1 gallon and is a Cherry Chocolate Oatmeal Stout. Ive never brewed a stout before and as I am doing some research on the history and what not stouts and porters, Ive never seen this much thick mess on a beer. I normally do IPA's and I've done a shandy. Is this a normal Krausen?

Greetings jmeisternixon - looks to me like hops. If it isn't hops, your beer is very infected.

I was thinking hops too, I read that you just gotta let that stuff fall but this only had .25 ounces of hops in the beginning and end of the boil and its been three weeks.....

I'm trying not to think the worst because I was really excited of this recipe that I made but I may have to dump it :(

Typically one would do a whirlpool at the end of the boil to try and collect some of that. You certainly do not want that in your feementer. I'm guessing you can go ahead and rack the beer into your bottling bucket and go ahead and bottle or keg.

Good luck!!

Greetings,

I racked it to the secondary because there was so much crud....I also did a taste test and so far it doesn't seem spoiled. Pretty dark in color and tastes fine so far

Good News after letting the beer condition for another 8 days the beer really improved. I suppose I just jumped the gun on coming to a conclusion. Thanks for all your advice

Great news....the beer came out fantastic. It was the best one that I've ever brewed. Nice small batch but came out well balanced and complex at the same time. In the world of beer I guess time is also a good thing.

Greetings jmeisternixon - sometimes odd things happen for a logical reason.  Conclude that reason and move on to brew a better beer.

Glad it worked out!

jmeisternixon said:
Great news....the beer came out fantastic. It was the best one that I've ever brewed. Nice small batch but came out well balanced and complex at the same time. In the world of beer I guess time is also a good thing.

I had the same thing happen with my last brew but it smelled like apricots so I knew it was fresh and a lot of people said it too was my best beer. Galaxy hops work wonders.

Back