• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Pot aroma

guibdh

Apprentice
Reaction score
I drank 2 IPA with a really great pot aroma. I want to brew something like this at home. What kind of hops do you guys recommend for it?

No immediate recommendations, but if you had two IPAs with the type of aroma that you wanted, ask the brewer about the hop choice and/or, if commercial beers, look up on the web site for clues as to what they used.

I would look at those hops which are known for been particularly dank, i.e. those high in terpenes.  Columbus, Apollo, Nugget come to mind as a start.  I have also heard that Idaho 7, now known as '007' gives a strong 'weed' like aroma.

Note Bene:  To get the most probable influence of the terpenes over other aromatic compounds in hops, it might mean a large dose of hops early in the boil.  The longer they are in there, the more the other aromatic compounds will volatilize and the terpene aroma will dominate.  Terpenes tend to volatilize at a much higher temperature than boiling.

Back