• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

HLT or 2nd Mash Tun conundrum

BigWorm

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Here is my situation.  I brew 10 gallon all grain.  Equipment profile

15 gallon Anvil brew kettle
2 10 gallon igloo coolers, 1 mash, 1 HLT

My efficiency isn't great as I don't spend enough time sparging and my recipes are too big to batch sparge on my current setup.  I started doing some more research and looking into upgrading to an autosparge over my silicon tube and jet sparge.  The problem is I can't figure out why I would do that?  Why would I not turn my HLT 10 gallon igloo into a second mash tun and use my brew kettle as my HLT whilst it is awaiting delivery of wort from the mash tun?  If I run 2 10 gallon igloo mash tuns I wouldn't have to fly sparge.  The brew kettle is capable of heating enough water to satiate 2 mash tuns and it seems to be a waste of a cooler just to use it as an HLT.  What am I missing here?

Don't Troll me bro!

On Tap
Fresh Squeezed Homage
Baltic Porter
Fermenter
Empty until I figure this S*** out!

Check Scott Ickes posts he has a double mash tun setup. Maybe Scott will chime in.

Back