• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Scaling an online recipe to one gallon

linusstick

Apprentice
Reaction score
i have an equipment profile set up for my one gallon equipment. When I manually enter a new 5 gallon recipe that I've seen in a book or found online, should I use a preloaded5 gallon equipment profile while I enter the ingredients, save it. Then scale the recipe using my one gallon profile? That's a mouthful to Google so I thought this forum would be better to ask!

That is one way to do it. 

Another way is to open up your recipe template containing your 1-gal equipment profile.  Now enter in all the ingredients as they are printed in the recipe you want to brew.  Once you have all the ingredients entered, click on the 'original gravity' slider right below the ingredients box on the design page.  Enter or adjust the OG to match the target for the recipe.  You can do the same for the color and then for the IBU sliders.  One thing to be aware of with this method, is that the amounts for dry hopping needs to be adjusted manually and I usually ratio it based upon the ratio of batch sizes.

Oginme, thanks for that... Been using this for a long time now and I was not aware of that feature.., BeerSmith is full of surprises!

Back