• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Flip top Type beer bottles

D

Dr Hop

Hi everyone.

I hope someone can clear up a small question i have. I have been contemplating a fruit beer as you may have seen from an earlier post. I have a concern that when bottled into the flip top Grolsch style bottles, they may explode because of the extra sugar in the fruit.

I have heard though, that these bottles release pressure over a certain amount. Is this true?

I look forward to your replies.

I normally add fruit to the secondary, and not to the bottle. Which to my understanding, is the correct way of doing it. There will be enough yeast in suspension to clean up any of the sugars. There should not be any issues with carbonation doing it this way. And because of this there will be plenty of yeast for bottle conditioning when you add the pre-fermented wort to the beer. (Read your other posts  ;D)
As far as the Grolsch bottles go, I have not heard that they will release pressure. I know the bottles I have are thicker than normal beer bottles. I have had some issues with flat beer because they are larger and need more time to carbonate. So if they don't pop I immediately reseal them and leave them for another month and then they are fine.

I used them for a raspberry ale I made. I haven't had problems with bombs but I use pre-measured sugar drop for that reason. As for losing pressure I haven't had that problem yet but my oldest is only a couple of months old.

Back