• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mash steps - rounding errors?

PeeBee

Brewer
Reaction score
Infuriating problem! If I want to change a mash step I'll end up with "Add 0.0 L of water and heat to ..." when it was saying (correctly) "Heat to ...". They'll be "Temperature" type mash steps ("Infusion" initial step - for HERMS) and obviously I can't add "0.0 L" anyway. Also notice the "water/grain ratio" changes but if I try to change it back I get told "Error: Can't have a negative infusion volume - add more water!". The only way to be rid of this nonsense is to abandon all changes ("cancel") and create a custom Mash Profile that I will not need to modify.

I suspect that when you are adding or changing a mash step that it is defaulting to an 'infusion' step instead of being set as a 'temperature' step.  If you export the mash profile which displays this issue and attach it to your next post, we can see what else might be happening. 

As for customized mash profiles, all of my mash profiles are customized to the way I brew.  This is the basic intent of the software is to allow the user to adapt it to their particular brewing methods.

Sorry - been away. But I'm back, and my next recipe I decided to change the mash out temperature from 76C to 75C. That was too much for Beersmith! I've now got "Add 0.0 l of water and heat to 75.0 C ...). It is still a "temperature" step, messing with it doesn't make any difference. I notice "water/grain ratio" has changed (changing it back is a road to ruin). I still insist this is a bug, possibly a rounding error.

It is my customised mash profiles that are being trashed. I did adapt the profiles for my brewing methods.

I'll try and get this example exported and attached in the next post.

Thanks.

Honestly, I have no idea of what is going on with your mash out step.  I can replace it and it acts just like a temperature step, giving no water infusion volume.  Editing it does not seem to change the 'add 0.0 l of water', which is strange, since I can do that with my step mash profiles and it will switch between an infusion and straight temperature increase.

I would suggest that you edit your mash profile, remove the mash out step you have at present and add back in your mash out step as a temperature step.  It should work normally from that point, or at least it did for me.

So no hope for me then  :'(

I should have also said I can edit the profiles without bother, it is editing a copy of a profile in a recipe or Log entry that demos the problem. So I've got a sort of work-a-round (edit a profile and load this into the recipe or log). But its not right. There is always a "water to add" entry (of 0.0) and "water/grain ratio" (with some mysterious calculated value) despite it being a "temperature" step. "Infusion temperature" is properly greyed out.

Thanks.

You can edit the profile within the recipe by clicking on the check mark icon right next to the mash profile on the mash tab.  This will open up the profile for you to edit within the recipe.  It will not save the profile anywhere else, so if you want to make it permanent for that particular profile, you will need to save it by clicking the disk icon next to the check mark icon.  This will create a copy of the profile in your master listing of mash profiles, so you will need to go back through and remove the old profile.

BeerSmith treats each recipe as an individual archive.  If you edit a profile outside of a recipe, you need to update the profile within the recipe by clicking on the mash profile and re-selecting the update version.  I keep track by noting the date of the changes in the profile name, such as "01a Single infusion, BIAB, 148F, Full Volume 170711".

Likewise, if you edit a profile within a recipe, it will not affect that same titled profile in any other recipe.  This allows the user to archive a brewed recipe with brew day data saved and not have the targets updated by a change in the profiles at a later date.

I have attached your recipe with the profile changes made within the recipe.

Attachments

• UshersPaleAle.bsmx
    26.8 KB · Views: 146
Back