Author Topic: PRE BOIL VOLUMES ARE OFF  (Read 2686 times)

Offline WESBREW

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
PRE BOIL VOLUMES ARE OFF
« on: June 05, 2017, 04:51:14 PM »
Wanted to ferment a 2 gallon batch of ipa so I used the scale, to convert to a 2 gallon batch. all seems good with the number including the mash water volume. but then has me adding too much spare water and a pre-boil volume of 4.2 gallons. I think I loose about a gallon here. so I would up with just about 3 gallons in the fermenter and a weak 1.040 gravity from a 1.058 expected.
I checked some other recipes and it appears that other full recipes also are estimating too much water to sparge. I should have thought that over but just followed the brew steps in a rush.

Offline WESBREW

• BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
Re: PRE BOIL VOLUMES ARE OFF
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 06:00:15 PM »
looks like I fixed this by adding my own equipment profile for each Batch size....then changing it on all of my recipes.   even so, the generic 10 gallon pot and cooler I was using for everything said boil off was 1gallon. the equipment shouldn't affect the boil off by double. it was adding 2.5 gallons to the pre-boil on 5,5 gallon batches.
oh well got it straight

Offline Oginme

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • Goats, guitars, and a home brew; Life is good!
    • Longvu LaManchas
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 06:05:23 PM »
The generic profiles are just that -- generic.  To get the most out of BeerSmith, you need to create your own equipment profile to match your brewing process, as you are discovering. 
Recycle your grains, feed them to a goat!

Offline WESBREW

• BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 07:41:31 PM »
Googled 'how to fix low gravity beer with dme'  bam, a beersmith blog article on how to do it. not only that but points to a tool in beersmith to figure it out for you.   :)

modification