• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

PRE BOIL VOLUMES ARE OFF

WESBREW

Apprentice
Reaction score
Wanted to ferment a 2 gallon batch of ipa so I used the scale, to convert to a 2 gallon batch. all seems good with the number including the mash water volume. but then has me adding too much spare water and a pre-boil volume of 4.2 gallons. I think I loose about a gallon here. so I would up with just about 3 gallons in the fermenter and a weak 1.040 gravity from a 1.058 expected.
I checked some other recipes and it appears that other full recipes also are estimating too much water to sparge. I should have thought that over but just followed the brew steps in a rush.

looks like I fixed this by adding my own equipment profile for each Batch size....then changing it on all of my recipes.  even so, the generic 10 gallon pot and cooler I was using for everything said boil off was 1gallon. the equipment shouldn't affect the boil off by double. it was adding 2.5 gallons to the pre-boil on 5,5 gallon batches.
oh well got it straight

The generic profiles are just that -- generic.  To get the most out of BeerSmith, you need to create your own equipment profile to match your brewing process, as you are discovering. 

Googled 'how to fix low gravity beer with dme'  bam, a beersmith blog article on how to do it. not only that but points to a tool in beersmith to figure it out for you.  :)

Back