• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

BIAB/HERMS system and entering water volumes in Beersmith.

rletts3

Apprentice
Reaction score
I have a BIAB/HERMS system that I have brewed on 3 times. The first 2 times my wort has exceeded the amount needed at the end of the cool down by about a gallon. I then realized I needed to figure how much water was in my 1/2" hoses and 50' of 1/2" SS coil. I guessed at it by the excess water I had from the previous 2 batches.
  Here is what I did in Beersmith that worked. I entered a (-  negative ) -1.25 in the Mash Tun Dead space column and it calculated what I needed for strike water as it pertains to my kettle. This takes out the water thats in my hoses and coil.  Beersmith has a note to not enter negative numbers in this column.  Is there another place I should be inputing this volume?
      If not I think Brad has more work to do for systems like mine. My work around worked and my final volumes are at 5.5 gallons after racking to the fermenter. Added a Pic of my system so you get a better idea of what I'm talking about.

I am a bit bewildered at your description.  If you have additional water trapped in your hoses, it would amount to having lesser wort than you started with.  From this, I gather that you are able to collect that wort.

Which means that somewhere along the way, your process losses (mash tun dead space, boil of rate, loss to trub, grain absorption) are not what you have them set for in your profile or your measurement of starting water is off.  Before you set the mash tun dead space for a negative 1.25 gal, what did you have it set at?  How are you measuring in your starting water?  Can you export your last brew with your measured values as a .bsmx file and post it?

Oginme said:
I am a bit bewildered at your description.  If you have additional water trapped in your hoses, it would amount to having lesser wort than you started with.  From this, I gather that you are able to collect that wort.

Yes you are correct I do collect that wort in the hoses and SScoil. I push it out from the HLT water and stop right before clearing the discharge side of the pump.  This wort I cycle a few times with the pump during the boil to make sure I'm getting all the wort disinfected.

Which means that somewhere along the way, your process losses (mash tun dead space, boil of rate, loss to trub, grain absorption) are not what you have them set for in your profile or your measurement of starting water is off.  Before you set the mash tun dead space for a negative 1.25 gal, what did you have it set at?

Approximatly  7.45 Gallons in the kettle. I have increments marked in the kettle. Had the Mash Tun space set at 0.  Now with the setting set at-1.25 gallons I fill the Kettle aprox 6.25 gallons.  It works for the final volume of wort this way and content just leaving it that way.

Is there a (field) in BS that could solve this besides the Mash Tun dead space (Field)?
Another note: I utilize the HERMS coil to chill with also so it has a dual purpose.  Recovering the wort from the coil and hoses just makes sense to me.  I have had some brewers suggest using that wort for starters. I hate wasting good wort for starters when I use DME for starters.  Hope this clears my question up. 

How are you measuring in your starting water?  Can you export your last brew with your measured values as a .bsmx file and post it?

Is the hose filling when you add your water into the kettle?  If so, then you are adding more than the 6.25 gal into the kettle when you begin.

If not, then it gets back to some numbers being off for your process losses.

Did you figure this all out?  I'm new to BIAB and BeerSmith but it looks like you could put the 1.25 gals you mentioned in the Mash Tun Addition.  I have the same issue with lines as you do plus about 5 gallons below the mash screen.
Here's from the BeerSmith Help:  Mash Tun Addition - This number represents water that is below the mash screen but is recoverable during the lauter process.  When calculating volumes, this water is automatically added in the first mash step so you will get sufficient water in the mash tun.  Many BIAB style systems have large recoverable volumes below the mash tun so it is important that you set this number.

Back