• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Bottling from keg.

JohnB

Apprentice
Reaction score
I am in need of your help guys as obviously I am doing something wrong in regard to bottling.

OK, so I find one of the many web-force-carbonation calculators and I decide to try for the first time. Everything goes smooth and as the site suggests one week later the keged beer is carbonated. Now I need to bottle some beer and by the utilization of the last straw and the foamless counter pressure device after I bottle and cap the beer, the beer is flat! I have ordered a different counter pressure filler device but it will take some time to arrive. The keg is at 22 psi and although I pressurize the bottle there is excessive foam in the bottle. The way I do it is feeding the keg with 2-3 psi, purge the bottle with co2, pressure the bottle and start the filling, however as I said the beer comes flat!

Any help please?

The pressure in the keg, at 22 psi, seems a bit high, and I'd expect foam in the bottle at that pressure. But then you say you feed the keg with 2-3 psi to run off to the bottles...

If the beer is properly carbonated and serves well from the tap with only a little foam, and drinks well (not too much carbonation, and not too little carbonation for the style), then one would expect the bottled version to have too little carbonation as you will always loose some during bottling.

One trick I use when bottling from a keg is to slightly overcarbonate the beer in the keg, purge the bottle, and fill with a Beer Gun from the bottom at about 4 or 5 psi - slow enough to not allow it to foam much at all, while still fast enough to get the bottle filled and capped without loosing too much carbonation.

I'll fill the bottle to the top and "cap on foam", always. This ensures you are trapping enough carbonation in the bottle, and with the beer slightly overcarbonated before bottling, you are sure to end up with bottles that are perfectly carbonated.

Back