• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Ball Valve Assembly for Mash Tun and HLT

kusanagIPA

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I have recently picked up two 10 gallon cylindrical coolers from Home Depot as well as a false bottom. Getting ready for my first all grain brew! I haven't gotten any of the valve assemblies yet, so I wanted to ask you guys what you recommend. If you mash tun creators out there have parts lists for the assembly that works best for you, that would really help me out!

Kusi

Greetings kusanagIPA - I recommend a stainless steel assembly consisting of a 1/2" threaded 2 or 3 piece ball valve, 1 1/2" stainless steel threaded close nipple, 2 stainless flat washers large enough to fit the stainless nipple and 2 washers - I recommend silicone washers - and a fitting that will convert 1/2" male pipe thread to a barbed 3/8" ID hose connection.  There are companies out there that sell complete assemblies at a reasonable cost.

Note: a three piece ball valve can be disassembled for cleaning where a 2 piece valve is not intended to be disassembled, although there are those who have attempted it.

I recommend using teflon tape at the threaded connections.  You will also need a piece of silicone tube to go from the valve assembly to the false bottom.  The fittings inside the tun are pretty straight forward.  It's the valve assemble that will cause issues if it doesn't seal properly.

Good luck!

I've used bargain fittings. they have stainless ball valves for 10-12$ and bulkhead kits for kettles and longer ones for cooler mash tuns, I think !0-12$ also.

Back