• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Ultra fast ferment question on a DIPA

telemarkus

Brewer
Reaction score
Hi all;

So I brewed a citra DIPA the other day (Friday 23, 2017). I cooled the wort and put her in the fermenter and oxygenated well with pure O2 by stone. OG 1.073, 1 min 10 sec of pure tanked O2, yeast WY 1056. fermentation temp a bit high at 72-73F as it is summer and i don't put this one in my controlled freezer. so tonight i measure the first FG by refrac and Hydro. I get 1.016 on the Hydro and  fuzzy ~9Brix on the refrac (corrected states~1.013). i guess the question is this: have any of you experienced a fermentation this fast on a higher grav IPA even at the higher temps in range on the 1056? taste and aroma o the sample were pretty good actually, but part of me cannot believe the speed of this ferment. any oversights and error notes would be appreciated! thank you.

markus

Yeah, I have had 3 day fermentations when fermenting at warmer temps.  While good, I felt they would be better with a more controlled, slower fermentation.  I always restrain fermentation now with temperature control at 65-67f wort temp.  I used to crank out in 10 days, start to tap.  Now I go 3 weeks or so.

Cheers!
Joe

Thanks Joe.
Yes It would be ideal to not ferment so fast, I will have to put it in the freezer fr control from now on.

Back