• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

How will this affect the final product?

Josh_Saratin

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hello All,
I am new to brewing, and just have a quick question about sanitation issues. I just put my wort into primary fermentation today and I'd say about 6 hours later while changing the wet towel wrapped around it I accidentally pushed to hard on the lid of my bucket and some of the airlock water got into the bucket. Since I am new to brewing and didn't plan that this would/could happen, I did not sanitize the airlock. Will this have bad consequences for my brew?
Thanks in advance :)

Most likely it will be fine.  I fill the airlock with starsan (my choice in sanitizers) to avoid any issue with accidental sucking the fluid back into the carboy. 

Been there, done that... Was one of my better brews! Make it a life lesson and carry on, your batch will be fine. I use vodka in my airlock, just in case. but I ferment in glass, so my primary is into a blow off vessel, and that is just water.

Back