• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Next Brew...

jmeisternixon

Apprentice
Reaction score
What up everyone I?m new(ish) into the home brewing. I will say that over the course of a couple years i?m starting to venture out into new territory AKA new styles as well as upgrading my game to all grain.

This experience has been awesome. The difference between extract and all grain is so noticeable and once you do an all grain, thats all you want to do. Due to constraints in my apt, I cannot do a full 5 gallon all grain brew which is actually OK and ill tell you why. Brewing yourself a 5 gallon batch is nice, it gives you a lot of beer BUT when you?re starting out with everything and you don?t have a nice set up and your brews are still somewhat experimental, I think that doing small batches are great. I have been doing little 1-3 gal batches here and there and the results are awesome. Also worth mentioning that if its a beer that ultimately I do not end up enjoying, I?m not stuck with 5 gal of it.

So with all that being said, I just got done bottling a Cherry Chocolate Oatmeal Stout. Try saying that 5 times fast! This recipe was really really good. I had already brewed it once and the second time did some tweaking. I threw in a little more flaked oats (non fermentables) and malt to give it a little more oomph to it. They are currently bottle conditioning right now (again, apt constraints - this brew would have been amazing in a keg).

?..My next brew will be a gose style beer. I love the tart but what sets this apart from other brews is that its just different. And I like that. So there you go. As I brew more and more I will be blogging my experience with home brewing. This has become so rewarding along with bread making that now I don?t really buy beer from the store. I mean I do, but its not like I used to. Drinking your own beer that YOU made gives you awesome points that other beer can?t deliver. So tell me what you guys think?what should my next beer be? 

I can agree that the beer you make is almost ALWAYS better than the beer you can buy. If you like sours, there are several styles that have a sour element, just pick one and go for it.

So; you also make bread, and you want to try a sour brew? Do you also make sourdough bread? There are similarities...

Try your hand at a Wee Heavy and throw an oak spiral in it.
I put one together last year and let the spiral sit in single malt for 2 months, then I took it out and toasted it light and put it back into the single malt again for another 3 weeks. The result was fantastic!
There was enough complication and steps to make it a challenge. but it was not so hard that it made my little brain work too hard.

Back