• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

ABV measurement when adding glucose to cask as primer?

MartinFa

Apprentice
Reaction score
In a BS2 recipe, I add the amount of glucose/corn sugar that I will add when I finally rack the beer into a barrel for conditioning. That added glucose will, of course, raise the SG at barreling time, and then ferment out in the barrel to condition the beer.

I'm guessing that BS2 will add the glucose sugar content to its estimated OG figure, as I can find no means of specifying that it be added at kegging time? However, my actual post-boil OG will - I further assume - be lower than BS2s estimate, by the amount of added glucose. And thus BS2s calculated efficiency will be down on reality?

The only way I can get BS2 to come up with the right figures is to fudge the OG... knowing that 180g of priming glucose in 23 litres will raise the SG by 3 degrees, then I can add this 3 degrees to my measured OG and then BS2 should correctly predict ABV and efficiency.

Or is there a better way?

Cheers all.

The best you can do now is mark the extra addition as "add after boil" in which case it will be excluded during the brewing process numbers.

Brad

Thanks Brad: I'd missed that out. Doing so certainly makes a difference to the efficiency figures.

However, I'm still not sure how BS2 would handle this situation when calculating ABV. If I now check the add after boil box for Corn Sugar, should BS2 take account of the fermentability of the corn sugar in its ABV calculation? I'm asking this as BS2 doesn't seem to make any change to the estimated OG or ABV when I check/uncheck that box for the recipe.

Thanks again,
Martin

Back